Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Toledo

Toledo. The center of the Catholic Church in Spain.


When we first arrived we were taken to an overlook of the city. Absolutely breathtaking.

The Cathedral of Toledo is beautiful on the outside. I kept on smelling incense in the room full of Greco paintings. I love the wood carvings in the choir area and engravings all over the walls.
Toledo is known for the swords, knives, daggers, and other various pointy things.
The swords used in "The Lord of the Rings" movies were from Toledo apparently. Do you recognize this?
These two kids were sword fighting on the streets. How perfect!
Another thing Toledo is known for is mazapan (marzipan), an almond and sugar candy. This replica of a castle is made completely out of mazapan.
We went to a little tea shop that sells famous mazapan made by nuns. This is just a window display for the store.
Who is this guy???
The bridge had to be one of my favorite things of Toledo.
This was a view from the top of the city we found while wandering/exploring. I call them "The Cliffs of Insanity!"
Another statue. I'm not quite sure of the significance, but intriguing nonetheless.
To celebrate my roommate Lauren's 21st birthday we ate paella at an outdoor restaurant right in the Plaza Mayor of Toledo.
Another favorite part of Toledo was the Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes, the original burial place for Ferdinand and Isabella. This is a photo of the courtyard.
The large windows that fill the place with light are superb.

4 comments:

Stacia said...

Oh My GOODNESS!!!! It's all so amazing. How did you like paella?
Is that one statue of Cervantes?
Are you learning about architecture while you are there? Pop quiz: What kind of ceiling is demonstrated in the second to last picture?

I can't tell you enough how happy I am that you are documenting this all quite frequently.

Malaina said...

Yeah, what kind of ceiling is in the second to last picture? Is it vaulted arches? I'm in Cordoba, Argentina now and just visited a cathedral that looks very, similar. looks like you're having fun...how's your spanish coming along?

T said...

From what I can remember from humanities class, the monastery has gothic arches in the Spanish-Flemish style with a rib vaulted roof.

I should have posted a picture of the colored Mudejar ceilings though, they were amazing!

Hey Jude! said...

These pictures are so amazing! I am loving them all!