Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Tale of the Alhambra

If you could get lost by yourself anywhere in the world where would it be? Would it be in the Alhambra in Spain? Well, that's where I chose. Explanation: We had about 10 minutes and then we were going to meet up and head out. For some stupid reason I decided to go off by myself to see part of the gardens that I had missed. I headed back to find the group but by that time everyone had left. I thought I knew my way back to the bus, but it turned out that I didn't. Picture me sprinting around this beautiful place for the next 20 minutes asking anyone who looked official where the parking for the buses were. I got some good Spanish practice saying "Estoy perdido. Estoy buscando a mi grupo y autobús." With a little bit of prayer I finally found the bus.


This might be the most creative ceiling I've ever seen.

What a job it would be to trim these hedges.

Oh Charles!

The Alhambra has a magnificent view of Granada.
A favorite past time of the servants: racing rabbits in the mazes of the Alhambra. (?)
Another spectacular view from a tower.

There is hardly a corner of the Alhambra without sight or sound of running water.

Royal pet.

Moorish carvings everywhere.


Here's a quote from Irving's "The Alhambra by Moonlight": "On such heavenly nights I would sit for hours at my window inhaling the sweetness of the garden, and musing on the checkered fortunes of those whose history was dimly shadowed out in the elegant memorials around."


1 comment:

Malaina said...

That's it! I'm going to Spain. There's a very famous classical guitar piece called Recuerdos de la Alhambra by my favorite guitar composer. My very own classical guitar that I've had for years is an Alhambra guitarra- hand made in Alhambra. Love it... Have lots of fun!