Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

El Escorial

El fin de semana pasado visitamos El Escorial.

The austerity of the monastery/palace was more beautiful to me than frightening. Maybe that's because I've always had a soft spot for symmetry. It was built in late 16th century under Felipe II. The library of El Escorial is one of the best perserved ancient libraries in the world. I thought that it was rather small, but the books were pretty impressive. Before we even went into the mausoleum I could smell something funny, I think fermaldehyde, which makes sense because there is a separate room called the Pudridero Real where the royal bodies rot for 20 years or so before being buried. Good thing I didn't open that door. The Panteon Real where all the Spanish monarchs are stacked up in there coffins was pretty interesting to see though.
Inside the courtyard.

Next we went to the Valle de los Caidos (Valley of the Fallen) where there is a monument and an underground basilica. It claims to be for the "Fallen for God and Spain" from the Civil War, but basically it was for Franco and his regime. Inside the basilica I felt very small.

Alina, me, Megan, and Emmaleigh with the amazing view of the valley from the mountainside in the background.

We also were able to tour a really neat castle in Manzanares.


No comments: