Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Favorites: La Plaza de Cervantes



“Give me a clear day in the Plaza, a classic novel, and a pastry and I am content.”

I haven’t quite found the perfect “spot” yet, but the Plaza de Cervantes might make it to the top of my list by spring.

Walking home from school one day I found myself smiling as I walked by the Plaza and so I quickly took a snapshot of what I saw. Bundles of grandpas. Apparently, it is a typical social event to take a stroll in the plaza with some good amigos sometime right around siesta (2 to 5 p.m.). The awesome hats that these caballeros wear make me so happy.

Something else that endears me to the Plaza is this little treasure found across the street. There are dozens and dozens of pastelerias here and I have had to resist many times. I came here the first day I was in Spain and I think I have been back too many times for my own good. It’s a mystery how Spaniards stay thin with all these temptations. (Lauren and I have attributed it to tons of walking and smoking cigarettes.)


Don’t you love the name? Salinas. I really think it was fate that this little pastry shop has walked into my life. Maybe I’m just embracing my roots because I grew up in Salina. I can’t remember the names of all the goodies I’ve tried, but I will have to take some close-ups and make a list of names. I will also somehow become friends with the pastry guys behind the scenes so I can get an exclusive tour on how they make these little bits of bliss. Wouldn’t that be neat?!

1 comment:

debbie said...

Is Yum-O Spanish? I think Rachel Ray would say yes!