Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Beginnings: Our Home in Alcalá

We live in a suburb of Madrid (about 30 minutes away by bus and train) called Alcalá de Henares. It was the birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes and is known as a university town. Good thing I read Don Quixote two summers ago because many of the murals, statues, and street signs reference characters and places in the book. We attend school at the Universidad de Alcalá, in the Alcalingua program, which offers language courses and Spanish culture courses. Monday through Thursday we attend classes from 9 until about 1 p.m. and then for the rest of the day we have time to explore, be good students and study, go shopping, take dance classes, eat, take fiestas, go to Madrid and different cities, or just relax. On the weekends we have trips planned to see all around Spain, including Aranjuez, Toledo, Granada, Sevilla, Italica, Cordoba, Segovia, El Escorial, Barcelona, Tarragona, Pamplona, Bilbao, Avila, Salamanca, Santiago, León, Penafiel, Coca, and even Portugal. We also have three free weekends to go to wherever we would like to go.

3 comments:

Stacia said...

Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!
Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!
Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!
Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!
Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!
Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!
Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!
Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!
Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!
Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!
Oh My Goodness!!!! Jealousy!!!!!!

Glad you got to fly first class, even though you had to go through misery to get it. Did they bring you hot towels? ;^)

How is your host family? Mom says the Internet is spotty, but at least TRY to keep us updated while you are there.

Glad you made it there safely!!

Mandy said...

AWESOME! that is so fantastic! are you going to learn to dance???!? how is your host family, roommate, etc etc etc? i hope all is well! :)

Denisse said...

You are there already Tristan!!! How wonderful!!!!! Wish I were there too...take full advantage of everything!!!!:) I'm sooooo happy you're doing this!!!:)