Pages

Monday, March 9, 2009

Barcelona

What a terrific trip to Barcelona!
Here is La Rambla, a people-watching place.

Our first day we walked down to the port of Barcelona to see the Christopher Columbus monument.

Feeding the seagulls.
It was a cold, windy day (not as stormy as the picture looks though).
We walked along the boat docks which was pretty neat.

The "Stacia" section of La Rambla. Finding bright flowers in the middle of a city street is a treasure.
The street performers and people dressed up in these insane costumes were amusing/creepy.

I bet they make bank.
Monuments in Barcelona practically litter the streets. I liked this one.
We visited the mercado, the big farmer's market type thing, while we were in Barcelona. This is a bunch of candied fruit and olive oil.


I should have bought one of these crabs. They were still moving.


Oh yum!
On Friday morning we visited La Sagrada Familia, an architectural monster originally designed by Gaudí, which is a famous symbol of Barcelona.
The building/temple was inspired by elements of nature. I loved the shapes and curves everywhere.

I hope they finish it before I die.

We did a LOT of walking in Barcelona and it was interesting just to look at all the buildings and scooters.

(These two pictures were taken by Mark. Thanks!)
We went to Park Güell, another Gaudí masterpiece.

A look out to the Mediterranian Sea from the park.

People enjoying the sun in the park.

Ali and I wandered around the Gothic section of the old city that night and found a little outdoor market that had samples of cheese and chorizo. We ate something that looked like a bean or nut, but tasted downright nasty. I think it was supposed to be decoration.

To top off our stay in Barcelona we went to the fountain show in the Plaza de Espana. Think of the fountain shows at the Bellagio, but bigger, with color, and spanish Disney songs. What a treat it was!

Our fountain poses.

On Saturday we drove up this mountain (no recuerdo el nombre) to see Montserrat, a monastery built on the side of the mountain.
It was a gorgeous place and I loved hearing the bells for mass.
We took an outdoor elevator/train thing to the top of the mountain to have a look.

I think I am going to miss Spain.

4 comments:

debbie said...

Don't leave your heart there. We miss you like crazy back here at home.

Malaina said...

When are you going back to the U.S.? After reading your blog, I'm thinking Spain is the next place I go!

Mandy said...

i love that picture of the stormy sky and the sail boats!

Hey Jude! said...

I've said this before, but your pictures are so pretty.

Malaina, I'm going with you!